Christian Formation Program Offerings
For Prekindergarten through Grade 8
At Trinity, we believe that children bring the awe, energy, and curiosity of the Holy Spirit into our community. As they inspire us, we aim to offer them a safe and nurturing community, and joyful learning experiences.
Registration for 2019/2020 Programs coming soon!
The following is our 2018/2019 programming for reference:
We invite you to print our Children & Youth Program Calendar and put it on your fridge! It’s right here: Schedule of Children Youth Programs
Church School is offered most Sundays during the 10 am worship service from September to June in our Undercroft. After a 40-minute class, children rejoin their families for the Eucharist. We run as a cooperative with parents helping in the classrooms on a rotating basis. During registration, parents choose their child’s class from these offerings:
• Godly Play creates a sacred space of storytelling and wondering for young children using a Montessori-based approach designed by Sonia Stewart & Jerome Berryman. This class is for grades Pre-K – 2. Four-year old children may be registered for this class, or for nursery, while 2nd graders may choose this class or Learning to Use My Bible.
• Learning to Use My Bible uses a fun, hands-on approach to spark a child’s interest in the Bible. How is it organized? How can I find a specific story? How can the Bible help me today? This study is ideal for children who can read and write at an elementary level. At the conclusion, children receive their own bibles. Grades 2 – 5. Fifth graders may choose this class or Feasting on the Word.
• Feasting on the Word follows the same weekly lectionary readings as in the 10 am service, and encourages conversations about life, faith, church, worship, and scripture both in class and with families at home. On days when youth group does not meet after the service, this class receives communion together, and then returns to their classroom for additional community building until 11:30 am. Grades 5 – 8.
Our church school programs are supported by a wonderful team of volunteer teachers led by our staff Director of Christian Formation of Children & Youth, Carol Brady. In addition we have the Adults Supporting Children (ASC) Committee, led by co-chairs Sarah Johnson and Joy Sigona, who support Trinity’s ministry to children and youth, and help create connections which enhance Christian formation. They promote opportunities for children and their families to deepen relationships with Christ, with one another, and with the parish community. Feel free to share with them any questions or concerns you may have about Trinity’s programs for children and youth.
First Sundays: At Trinity, children and youth worship with their families on the first Sunday of each month from September – June, and weekly during July & August.
During Worship with children: Younger children may pick up a children’s bulletin and borrow other materials from the Children’s Table in the rear of the Sanctuary. They help carry food donations to the altar during the Offertory.
On Summer and Holiday Sundays, we offer Kid’s Word Walk where children (Grades PreK – Grade 5) may choose to follow the cross out of the sanctuary before the Gospel for a 20-minute lesson. They rejoin their families for the Eucharist.
Older children and youth are encouraged to deepen their Christian formation through various leadership roles in the worship service throughout the year:
• The Junior Choir for beginning singers (grades 2 – 4) in weekly Thursday rehearsals, learns about the traditions of the church, and how to sing and read music. This group sings in the 10 am Liturgy on the first Sunday of each month (October-June), and for special services such as Christmas and Easter.
• Youth Choir participates every Sunday in the 10 am Liturgy (October-June). They sing an anthem on the first Sunday of each month and for special services at Christmas and Easter and other occasions, as well as singing the Service of Choral Evensong twice each year. The Thursday rehearsals are designed around the RSCM program, teaching musical skills and vocal technique in the context of our Liturgical tradition.
• Acolytes (grade 5 & up) help lead the 10 am service by performing such duties as carrying the cross; lighting candles, preparing the altar, and assisting the clergy.
• Youth Lectors (grade 5 & up) read a lesson during the 10 am service on the first Sunday of each month, and/or offer to read at special services!
• Youth Ushers (grade 5 & up) greet, pass out bulletins, help with the offering collection, and straighten up the sanctuary after the service.
• Youth on Altar Guild (grade 5 & up) help to prepare the altar on Saturday mornings at 9 am, and clean up after Sunday services with an adult mentor.
Perhaps the most popular and joyful experience is the annual Christmas Pageant presented during the late afternoon service on Christmas Eve.
At the Blessing of the Animals, an outdoor service in October, families bring their pets and favorite stuffed animals.
Everyone enjoys the Trinity Fayre in November.
Sprinkled through the year are fellowship events such as: Fall Potluck in September, Pancake Supper in March, and the Ice Cream Social in June.